FedEx Boeing 747-200F – Update #1

Well, it has been a few weeks since I posted my last update on the Boeing 747SP, but for a few good reasons, one of those reasons is that I started the FedEx 747F for a client. This one will have removable wings and wing box. In the interest of continuous improvement, I took a different approach to the wing box from the 747SP, and I am pleased with the result. I also made some improvements to my jig so I could position the empennage (horizontal and vertical stabilisers) section. Now I’m nearly ready to shape the wing blanks I made a few weeks ago.

Another reason is that I decided to buy a 3D Printer to make more realistic turbine fan blades for my Airliner Models. Id been planning to do this for a while, then Aldi advertised one in their weekly buys for $300, so with a 60 day no questions asked return policy, I had nothing to loose, and everything to gain, which I did. After a lot of trial and error, and learning how to use a 3D modelling software package, I finally managed to print a decent quality turbine fan. The one shown below is magnified and still requires a bit more cleaning up to remove the remaining support structures built during printing.

I was ready to take the printer back after multiple attempts to print out a decent turbine fan, until I decided to try a new 3D slicer program (this converts a 3D object into printable layers).  I initially installed the 3D Slicer software preloaded on the micro SD card that came with the printer, and proved this was the cause of the problem. So, the secret to a good 3D print is using good slicer software, and not necessarily the printer itself.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s